1 tbsp oil
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp plain flour
900ml chicken stock
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
200g green lentils
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
Serve with some nice fresh crusty bread.
1. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, add chopped onion and cook till lightly browned & then add garlic and flour.
2. Stir in stock, sugar, tomato puree and vinegar, season and bring to the boil.
3. Put lentils and bay leaves in slow cooker, pour over hot stock mixture and add sausages.
4. Cover with lid and cook on Lowest oven setting for 5 hours or put in the slow cooker before you go to work.
5. Stir well then spoon into dishes, making sure to throw away the bay leaves.
6. Eat! (there should be enough food for 4!)
Some slow cooker recipes say you should brown the sausages first but it really makes little difference to the taste.